Friday, November 14, 2008




My daughter and I enjoyed our very own slumber party. Waited till dad went out, scurried into the bed and had a picnic. She is six and I guess I am too because I had as much fun as she did. Her job was to guard the bed from our two dogs. They shouldn't have been hungry as I cook holistic foods for them too! Last night they had chicken (yup, cage free) with their doggie grains. But I guess they wanted Chinese-our stir fry created a few hopeful whimpers...anyway wanted to share my quick concoction with you. But I warn you, I am a "little bit of this and a little bit of that" kind of a cook. I never measure so I'll do my best...


Veggie Stir Fry-four to six servings-depends on your appetite, and palate!


Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 15 Minutes


Vegetables: 1/2 cup ea: mushrooms, carrot, celery, and add to this any of the following


1/4 cup ea: broccoli, bean sprouts, cabbage, bok-choy


Protein: a handful of Almonds and optional is 1 cup of shrimp, chicken or beef


Flavor makers Scallion, Garlic, Ginger, Orange or Lemon, Soy or Tamarind sauce, Tabasco or Chile peppers (for hot spice) honey or agave (to sweeten sauce).


Chop one garlic clove (or use garlic powder if need be), grate a small piece of ginger (or use ginger powder) a few scallions, half a lemon or orange (or both) and set aside in a bowl.


In a frying pan or Wok, heat 1/4 cup of olive or sesame oil (or both) for a minute and then add the vegetables. Keep stirring with a wooden spatula for five minutes and then add the flavor makers to the pan. Stir again, and add soy sauce to taste. If you have a problem with soy, then use sea salt. Add in sweetening agent to taste. Add in hot spice to taste. Continue cooking (and stirring) until the vegetables are at a texture you like. I like Al-dente so ten minutes is perfect for me. Set veggies aside in a large bowl. Add the protein in the same pan and brown to your liking. Add some more soy or salt. When cooked, add the protein to the vegetables, mix in well and serve alone or over rice or noodles.


Salad Dressing: Take two carrots, one (quarter size) small piece of ginger, 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar, a couple of tbsp. of soy sauce and put into a Cuisinart or blender. Puree. Great over greens or cucumbers.


Age Rebelling Factors: good for skin and for health!


Cucumbers and Celery: Natures diuretics, great for kidney strength


Carrots: beta Carotene's: High in anti-oxidants, helps with adult acne, (and adult eyes...)


Garlic and Onions: Natural anti-inflammatory properties


Ginger: Aids digestion


Green Vegetables: Chlorophyll, Folic-Acid- wonderful nutrients for the cells



1 comment: